20 December 2011

it's a miracle

Thirty years ago today my mother accomplished a feat that is both mundane and miraculous. Mundane, because it is accomplished every day, many, many times over, all across the world. It has happened billions of times, literally. Miraculous, because the process of building a complete human being in one's womb, then physically delivering that child, is nothing short of extraordinary.

Certainly, the wonder of reproduction has been on my mind as we prepare to become parents. Quite regularly I think to myself, in amazement, that there is a person inside of me right now.  That thought is weird, strange, and sometimes a little freaky. Yet, it is also so incredible that God designed us this way, to grow a complete, perfect person without the use of our sight, our hands, really without conscious effort on our behalf.

Psalm 139:13-14 tells us,
13For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Our Creator is really quite something!

Then, to think of the number and sequence of physiological changes required to deliver a child, and the physical feat accomplished by both mother and baby. It's truly astonishing that it happens so successfully. 

Thanks, Mom, for accomplishing the extraordinary.
And thanks, Dad, for getting everything started, sometime in March of 1981! 

No comments:

Post a Comment